Wednesday 15 October 2014

3 Tips for Creating an Interesting 'About' Page


The other day the lovely Ellis posed a question to Twitter talking of her dilemma in coming up with content for an About Me page and it got me thinking. One of the first things I look for on a blog is that blurb. Who are you? What do you look like? What's your address and postcode? Okay maybe not that far... but still. We Brits find it very difficult to talk ourselves up and especially in the vast blogging world (yes the mystical realm that is the Internet) this is no time to start playing small. 
I know a lot of bloggers opt to keep certain elements of their personal life, well, personal and so they should but that doesn't mean you can't give your reader a little insight to keep them coming back and reading more.


1 - Motivations. Why do you blog? What lit the spark for you? Are you in it for the money (ooh controversial)? For me it's always interesting to see why someone started and if that reason has changed throughout their blogging journey. I started because I was bored and wanted to improve my writing/support my degree with a project. Now I do it because it's fun. I like sharing advice, getting involved in the community and having something there to remind me of all the great things I've had the chance to do.

2. Photos. So I touched on the fact earlier that some bloggers may choose to keep some aspects of their life private. Photos are often one of those things. If this is you... sorry skip this point! Capturing your reader's mind visually is almost as important as the writing itself and when I read through your posts I want to have a picture in my mind. Photos that capture moments are great for this because it's you at your most natural. I know you're all going to rush to examine my 'About Me' photos now, but honestly I tried being all posey and composed and that's what I ended up with. 

3 - Personality. Whatever you write, write it like you're talking to a close friend. Catching up over a brew with someone you haven't seen in a while. Wrap it in all the little isms and quirks that make you you. My good friend, and number one fan, Sarah is always the first to read my blog posts and one of the best compliments she can give me other than it sounds fantastic you girl genius is 'it's written how you would say it'. With so many blogs out there don't let yourself get lost. You are unique and interesting so grab your computer and start telling me about it.

What about you guys? Do you think About Me pages are important? What do you like to see on them? Let me know!
SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig