Thursday 16 April 2015

The Blogging Lie



Regular readers of this blog may have noticed a serious lack of posts as of recent. In fact, I think this is the longest I've gone without blogging since I started two and a half years ago! There are two reasons for this.

The first? I seriously underestimated just how much dedication my last year of uni would take. With numerous deadlines looming over me I've barely had time to write anything for myself. With just under a month of uni left (I can hardly believe it!) I find myself missing blogging and, well, here I am typing away when I should be doing my dissertation...

Secondly, and something I've been struggling with for the past month or so, is the fact that blogging can be very one-dimensional. I don't mean this in the sense that everything I write is a lie fabricated to make my life sound ridiculously interesting - it isn't. However, as with all social media it's very easy to only share certain aspects of yourself (i.e. beautiful night out selfie, not a photo of you two hours earlier still in pyjamas looking decidedly feral) and to me sometimes that can feel a little dishonest.

Whilst everyone has a right to their privacy (and to spend a large quantity of the day in pyjamas) I think it’s important to share some of the personal things too. It keeps things interesting, and most importantly authentic. During my time away from blogging I experienced a lot of stress and self-doubt. I took time off work and university. I dealt with many self-inflicted food comas and hid away in my bed cave watching countless Netflix series.

This is what you don’t get to read about. But you know what? This is me too.

So consider this my return to blogging. Expect more of the good stuff, and who knows maybe even some of untamed pyjama wearing stuff too.

What about you guys? Do you ever question who you portray on social media? How do you deal with it? Let me know!

bloglovin' facebook | pinterest instagram
SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig