Tuesday 9 July 2013

Change Your Lifestyle, Not Your Diet!


Okay so before I begin I have to admit the title is a bit of a fib, just a teeny one though, I just couldn't think of a way to word it that wasn't completely long winded. Don't get me wrong you should change some elements of your diet but I think the best way to maintain a healthy mind and body is to make long term changes.

My flatmate last year is a key example of this. I've heard of crash dieters, and I've seen programmes but never in real life. I was beginning to think they were a thing of myth... until I met Anna.

I make no exaggeration when I say she was on a new diet every week. High protein, no carbs, fasting, shakes - you name it, she tried it. It's not as though she was overweight or anything like that (we shared clothes!) but she was an absolute diet fiend.
I don't know what happened, maybe she got sick of it or realised it was silly but one day she just flat out stopped. She is now eating normal meals at normals times, has a fitness routine, a body to die for and I've never seen her so happy and confident in herself and I'm so proud (and jealous, very jealous).

With 'Summer' having started (if you live in Britain you'll know this is a bit of a hit and miss term round our parts) everyone seems to be dying to get a bikini body and with all these fitness challenges  cropping up it's never been easier to tone up fast. But in my mind the most important thing is maintaing a healthy body, not just getting there in the first place.

I'm not claiming to be the worlds healthiest eater, or fittest person either. In fact I get out of breath walking down the stairs, but I'm working on it! I'm incredibly lucky in that my body seems to absorb whatever food I throw at it and happily disguises the fact I've just devoured two double cheeseburgers... and a large portion of fries.

 But I still like to eat healthy and about 90% of the time I eat really well and feel so much better for it.


 So here are three of my long lasting tips:

Cut it out

Pick one of your weaknesses and cut it out from your diet completely. Like lent... but FOREVER. About 2 years ago I made the choice to stop eating sweets and drinking carbonated drinks. I'm a bit more lenient on myself now and will eat and drink them if offered, but will hardly ever actively buy them. Honestly, try it - your skin will thank you!

Drink through it

Green tea and water are your best friends. I've never had an interest in black tea, I think I've only ever tried it a couple of times, usually just being polite when people make it by mistake. I do enjoy the odd cup of coffee but I've learnt from many tired mornings/stressful days at uni that coffee does not sit well with me. I become really on edge and just generally feel weird, probably not helped by the amount of sugar I add to an already caffeine packed drink!

However I absolutely love green tea or failing that hot water (they taste pretty similar)! Not only is green tea great for speeding up your metabolism along with a whole host of other health benefits, but unlike black tea or coffee it doesn't stain your teeth when you drink it and is a natural source of caffeine!

Eyes on the prize

Exercise is always the thing I have the most trouble with. I get started on a routine and within a few days I get lazy, I get bored and within a week it's out the window.

The thing is though, exercise is crucial to reaching/keeping that dream body. When I'm feeling unmotivated I reward myself with little treats, like half an hour of TV or a Yo! Sushi and it really works. What can I say? I like prizes!

Another thing that increases my motivation, is having someone to work with. I lose concentration by myself but work 10 x better if I have someone to spur me on. For me healthy isn't a number on a scale or a dress size, it's being able to look at myself in the mirror and be confident in myself and my body and what I've achieved.
I hope this has helped, even just a tiny bit and if it has please let me know how you get on!

What about you guys? What are your tips and what does healthy mean to you? Let me know!

Psst head over to my Eat Your Way Thin and I must I must Pinterest boards if you're stuck for inspiration (this is also where all the images are from)
bloglovin' | facebook | pinterest instagram
SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig