Monday 29 October 2012

Recipe: Oven Roasted Pumpkin Seeds


Around this time of year there is always, without doubt, an influx of pumpkins - fairy godmothers eat your hearts out. Since the age we were old enough to effectively go begging for sweets with our friends and families, we have been programmed to believe their sole purpose is to brighten our door steps and scare our loving neighbours. I am here to tell you just like Santa and just like the tooth fairy, this is not the case - you have been lied to.

Why you ask have you been lied to? So your parents could keep this delicious secret all to themselves! Now, I must admit when my flatmate (Becca) bounced into the kitchen telling me tales of roasted pumpkin seeds I was a bit unsure. I'd never heard of such a thing before, and the seeds I'd eaten previously in my Graze boxes were just awful. Despite this, she was my flatmate and if I didn't go along with her crazy ideas who knows it might have been me she roasted next! 

Before committing to making my own I tasted some seeds that Becca, who does not cook unless absolutely necessary, had made and well I was very surprised  They were crunchy and salty and SO DAMN GOOD. How could it be I'd never heard of them before?

If you like myself never had the luxury of making these when you were younger or have heard about their wondrous properties (they're loaded with vitamins and protein), let me educate you on this well kept secret.

I'm sure there are numerous ways and I'm also sure those ways are all very tasty but I'm going to tell you how to roast your seeds Efia style. Okay so first, you need a pumpkin! Once you have captured said pumpkin cut it's top off to reveal the goods and either scoop the seeds out with a spoon or just grab them out with your (clean!) hands. 

Source: www.seriouseats.com/2010/10/roasted-pumpkin-seeds-spicy-sweet-salty-recipes


Once you've retrieved as many seeds as you can rid them of the fleshy pumpkin bits and spread them out on a baking tray - I should mention while you're doing this whack the oven on to 180 degrees or the fan equivalent (160). Now that they're on a baking tray you can prep your master piece! For mine I drizzled them with olive oil, sprinkled with rosemary and also seasoned with a splash of soy sauce and some salt. Becca being the devil in disguise doesn't like chillies or I would have probably added them too.




Once your prep is done put them in the oven and wait for the magic to happen, which is approximately 10mins or when the seeds are no longer chewy/ a light golden brown colour, and enjoy!

These make a great healthy snack or a lovely addition to soups and salads, hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

What about you guys how have you used your pumpkins this year? In the traditional way or have you done something out of the norm? Let me know!

(Please note: Becca is a lovely girl and this story has been dramatised for humorous purposes!) 



SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig